The enamel around the tooth protects it from decaying. However, teeth are still vulnerable to various injuries. Proper medical attention should be provided to tooth and gum injuries. Ignoring dental emergencies can lead to serious damage and expensive treatments. It is expedient to identify and treat these injuries at the earliest. According to experts at 7Dentals, these dental emergencies include:
1. Toothaches- Most common dental problem among the people is a toothache. Use warm water to rinse your mouth. Objects caught between tooth can also be a reason for a toothache. Gently use dental floss to remove the object.
2. Chipped or broken teeth – In case of chipped or broken teeth rinse your mouth with warm water. If there is a knocked-out tooth don’t pull it out. Apply some cold compress from outside to avoid any swelling. To stop the bleeding and ease the pain apply a piece of gauze.
3. Extruded(partially dislodged) tooth – Don’t try to pull the extruded (partially dislodged) tooth. See the nearest dentist immediately.
4. Lost Filling- Use gum as a replacement for the lost filling. Make sure the gum is sugarless otherwise, it can cause pain. Use cotton swabs, in case of a lost crown and immediately see the dentist.
5. Broken Braces and wires- Where a wire breaks out of a bracket, try to push it back in a comfortable position. Loose brackets and bands should be temporarily reattached. Call your orthodontist to re-cement or replace broken or loose braces.
6. Abscess- It is an infection in the space between the tooth and the gum. An abscess usually occurs near the root of a tooth. They can spread and cause serious problems if left untreated. See your dentist immediately if you find a painful pimple-like swelling on your gum.
7.Soft-tissue Injuries- Tissue of cheeks, tongues and gums are delicate and soft. An injury to them can cause bleeding. Soft-tissue injuries should be rinsed with mild salt water. Tea bags if applied with pressure are highly effective in case of bleedings.
Dental emergencies should not be taken likely. It is always wise to consult experts like 7Dental to avoid any further damage.